Wednesday, October 23, 2013

DIY Portable Felt Board- Great Xmas Gift for the Kids!


This year, I've planned to make at least half the gifts I'm giving this Christmas. I originally planned to make EVERY gift but that was just a pipe dream. If I wanted that to happen, I would've started making gifts in January! Unfortunately, I am unable to plan that far ahead of time (no discipline whatsoever here!) and so, I have decided to focus on making the majority of the kids' gifts because they're just so darn fun to make stuff for.

My first project is a portable felt board that I drafted a pattern for after researching some on Pinterest. Here's a link to one of the inspirations that I absolutely loved! This first one that I made was great but I need to add a stiff interfacing or maybe even some thin cardboard inside for stability- which I didn't have at the time because I kind of sewed it up on a whim yesterday. I've got all sorts of ideas in my head about adding a magnet board to the inside of one instead of felt. My kiddos looooove magnets! Maybe it'll be K's surprise gift since she won't be receiving another felt board for Christmas. Hmmm...so many ideas!




 K is going to keep this felt board tester. She's in love with the colors and is already bossing me around about which colors I should choose for each of her brothers and cousins.

This week, Joann's is having a fabulous fabric sale: 50% off all red tag fabrics so I stocked up on some including the floral patterned fabrics featured here. I'm thinking I need to go back for more but I already have so much in my craft room, it's coming outta my ears! 


I included a pocket on the inside to hold all the felt pieces. I might consider using velcro to close the pocket so the pieces don't fall out everywhere. So far, it's managed to stay inside when my daughter carries it around but kids are whacky sometimes and will swing and fling anything that has a handle on it- am I right, moms?
I've cut out only the Potato Heads so far but plan on making some fun dress up dolls, train and road tracks with vehicles, letters, numbers and food shapes as well. There are so many ways to customize each board for every child! That's what makes these so neat! 



I love how sewing just a small strip of fabric onto the velcro makes it look so professional. 




Once I've cleaned up the pattern a bit more, I'll share that and a tutorial in the next couple of weeks. This is such a fun, easy project that you can whip one up in a couple of hours and have a blast cutting out felt shapes while watching Netflix. =) 

 UPDATE: I went on hiatus shortly after this post went up and the pattern got tossed accidentally! I'll try to re-draft it using the finished one I've completed. The pattern and tutorial should be up this spring! Thanks for stopping by and checking this post out!

14 comments:

  1. Fabulous I love this as a gift idea pinning, I want to make some for my nephews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia, Did you ever get around to posting a pattern/tutorial for this portable felt board? I have done my best to search around for a follow up post, but none can be found. I would really LOVE to make this for my daughter... I look forward to your reply! Happy New Year! to you and yours!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the idea. This is really cute. Do you have the patterns for the cutouts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Adorable gifts. Lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing, keep up the good work, Great Post, keep posting like this
    Promotional Pens In Mumbai

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I can say is great work. The effort you put into this is very impressive and I enjoyed every minute of the read. I hope to come back and see more articles you've written. Candle Boxes Wholesale

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your custom boxes wholesale should communicate and reflect a good reputation of your company through its outlook and this is where we can help you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The popular pizza boxes shapes include the rectangular, square and circular boxes. Custom cardboard pizza boxes are used by the restaurants who want to attract the client to open the box at the first instant he holds it. pizza boxes Designs the Custom Pizza Boxes that Suits Your Pizzeria Best.The cardboard pizza boxes need to be printed in special colors to make them personalized according to the brand theme.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah it’s look like best blog for comments thanks for sharing this article good work man! and also see this that’s all great here i like it to much
    also visit my blog personalised t-shirts India for winter

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for sharing this interesting post with us.We as The Eagle Security provide Security Guard Services striving to become the best security service provider in Toronto

    ReplyDelete

Like this post? Leave a comment or check the sidebar for ways to connect with me - I'd love to hear what you think!