Monday, January 27, 2014

KCW Challenge Day Two: See Kate Sew's Kaleidoscope Top


Ahh, I made it to day two of the KCW challenge so I guess pre-planning and preparation actually does work! I'll have to keep that in mind for future projects. =)

Today, I sewed up a fun and easy top from See Kate Sew (Purchase the pattern here.) I upcycled a thrifted golf tournament blanket for the base of the sweater- I think I have enough left over to make a miniature version for the littlest! 


I knitted the collar a few years ago and it was originally going to be the border of a knit skirt for K when she was a baby but I never got around to finishing the skirt. Did you know that knitting takes a long time especially when there are young, demanding children around 24/7?! But I love the truly handmade details of knitted items and so I had to add this touch to the sweater!


The unicorn was K's special request. She makes one for every item I sew up for her and I guess if I want her to wear it more than once, then I must comply as long as the request is within reason.


I drew up the unicorn silhouette onto some white fleece then appliqued it on the front of the sweater. I had imagined just sewing gold sequins to the horn but K wanted lots of colored sequins so I gave in again. The colorful sequins match her personality anyway. I really like how the large graphic applique really makes this '80s-inspired top really modern and girly.


I didn't finish off the sleeves as the pattern originally suggests. I kind of like the unfinished look and since the fabric doesn't ravel, it was fine. 


She loves the look of this outfit- so retro, groovy and cool. =) 


Yep- this one's a keeper. It's comfortable, pretty, and layerable. (That's not technically a word, but you know what I mean!) 


Go get the pattern for the Kaleidoscope sweater if you haven't already! It's a great unisex pattern that sews up in less than an hour! Maybe you could sew it up for the Spring KCW challenge! =)



1 comment:

Like this post? Leave a comment or check the sidebar for ways to connect with me - I'd love to hear what you think!